Welcome!

I'm Tonia and this is my family. There's Hubs, my wonderful partner; Bug, my darling daughter; and Boo, my charming son. We are the Collins clan. We are a homeschooling family who try our best to live out God's will for our lives every day. There are lots of stumbles along the way, but we love each other and this little life we're carving out for ourselves. Recently we found ourselves called to make some big changes in our lives so we're packing up the McMansion and moving out to a little farm in need of a lot of TLC. We have tons to learn and tons to do and we invite you to share the journey as we turn our not-so-new heap into a home.

Monday, September 9, 2013

The Smell of Sunshine

The smell of sunshine on freshly laundered clothes.......


Towels gently swaying in the breeze.........


The THWAK of wet jeans smacking you in the face as you struggle to get the clothespin in place......


Ah, yes, it's true....Hubs got my clothes line up!


I cannot tell you how giddy I was to have this little project complete. I needed to do laundry by Wednesday, but I saved it up, knowing I would have a clothes line to hang it on by the weekend. I reminisced about  all sorts of romantic memories of hanging out clothes to dry when I was a little girl. Saturday I did a bunch of work around the house, but the highlight of the day was doing 5 loads of laundry, all of which were hung out to dry. Well, except the unmentionables- nobody needs to see that, trust me.
 
Turns out there were a few things I had forgotten about hanging clothes out to dry. Like, the way towels turn to sandpaper under the hot sun if you don't use a fabric softener in the wash. Or, how many clothes 5 loads really is and how it's a lot more work to hang them up than to toss them in the dryer.
 
I had remembered very accurately, though, how wonderful the clothes smell after hanging out and how you just feel more connected with the whole process of laundry when you put them up on a line. I don't know why that is, but somehow it's true. I'm thrilled to have a clothes line and I will be using it regularly when the weather allows.
 

The Hubs took his commission very seriously. I had given him all the information I deemed important regarding clothes lines and he then worked out a plan. Top of my list of pet peeves were sagging lines. I cannot stand it when the line sags so much in the middle that you can only put small children's clothes on it! What good is a line like that?

I have to say, I've never seen another clothes line like it. The Hubs used all sorts of scary looking hardware and rigged up a design that allows him to tighten the line if need be. It's awesome, for real.

The Hubs is a rock star.

I am blessed.


Tonia



 

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! One of the reasons I can't wait to get out of our HOA is so that I can hang my clothes up to dry outside. My grandma always hung her towels outside to dry, and I remember that her bathrooms always smelled so GOOD because of the sun-dried towels piled in the cabinets. Your home is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carody! Yes, no HOA is a huge perk of country life!

      Delete
  2. Between a couple of bo-peep poles (one a double--those large black plant / bird feeder poles with an upturned crook at the end from which hangs the feeder or plant) and a couple of medium-sized trees I have clotheslines, too. Although mine are temporary. I put 'em up and take 'em down each time. And I know how to tie a tightening knot and I have a prop-up pole that I use sometimes.

    Another thing i love is that you can take them down on your schedule, not the drier's. And that you can fold or hang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family I nanny for uses the swing set as their clothes line... whatever works, right?

      Delete