Welcome!

I'm Tonia and this is my family. There's Hubs, my wonderful partner; Bug, my darling daughter; and Boo, my charming son. We are the Collins clan. We are a homeschooling family who try our best to live out God's will for our lives every day. There are lots of stumbles along the way, but we love each other and this little life we're carving out for ourselves. Recently we found ourselves called to make some big changes in our lives so we're packing up the McMansion and moving out to a little farm in need of a lot of TLC. We have tons to learn and tons to do and we invite you to share the journey as we turn our not-so-new heap into a home.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sometimes There's a Rock

After a couple of crazy weeks, with tons of running in circles, we're finally back at it around the Heap. The big project continues to be the chicken run and coop, which like everything else, is proving to be a lot more complicated than expected.

You might remember the trench the kids and I were digging:

 
Well, this trench has become the bane of our existence over the past couple of weeks. First, only about half of it was even in the right place. Once the Hubs started placing the posts it was quickly evident that there had been some miscalculations somewhere. This meant Hubs had to dig new post holes- a job that is nowhere near fun- and that our much worked upon trench was useless. To top it off, the trench we were so very proud of was about 6-8 inches from being deep enough. Needless to say, we have had some digging to do.....
 
This weekend the Hubs had a discussion with Bug about digging...and the inevitable rocks you find when doing so. "Sometimes," he said, "You find a rock and you think it's a really big one, but as you dig a little you find it's just a little one." I'm thinking the lesson was probably lost on her, but you and I can see it clearly.
 
It ain't nothin' 'til it's somethin'
 
Sometimes, though, it's definitely something. Sometimes there are gigantic rocks. Obscenely heavy rocks. Please, dear God, get this rock out of the way NOW rocks.
 

We could finally see the finish line. We only had about 5 more feet of trench to clean out and the digging would be done. And then, my shovel hit rock. I called the Hubs over to help get it out. He is the breaker bar operator in our digging hierarchy so he is the one to call when something needs broken up or wedged out or whatever. This is the point where I got to hear about the rock lesson Bug had heard earlier in the weekend. This is also the point where I looked at the Hubs with a blank expression. I'm not interested in any character lessons right now, buddy, I am T.I.R.E.D. Get the rock out, please. Only without the please.....

I'm convinced this is also the moment when God decided to spank me for my bad attitude because what happened over the next hour can only be described as punishment.

Dig a little. Try to find the edge of the rock. Wait for Hubs to see if he can get the breaker bar underneath the rock. Nope. Repeat.

Dig from one side of the trench, then from the other. Kneel. Sit. Stoop over. Get more dirt out. See if the rock will move yet. Nope. Repeat.

After a whole lot of grunting and groaning and about a dozen exclamations of disbelief from me ("Good grief", "Holy cow", "Sheesh"...you get the point), we finally, finally got the rock out....

 
 and declared the trench to be officially done.....
 
 
and the chicken run ready for the next phase of construction.
 
 
Sometimes there's a rock and you just gotta keep at it until you're past it. Thank you Lord, that we don't have to battle the rocks alone. 
 
 
Tonia

1 comment: