First up, we got some high quality gloves. These things are pricey, but we will be using them plenty over the next few months or more. If you're gearing up to do some demo work be sure you have some gloves- look for leather, it'll hold up better. Don't send anyone else to pick them up for you either- a good fit is super important.
Just in case you've forgotten the horror, let me show you the before photos again. Ick! I wish I could describe how this stuff smells so you could really appreciate the awfulness, but I don't have adequate words. Just imagine wet dog with a bit of sweat and urine mixed in and you'll have an idea. Yeah, pretty gross.
After some grunting and groaning, pulling and tugging we were rewarded with this site. Fantastically, the floors underneath are really beautiful and in good condition. Hooray! They will need refinished, of course, but they are going to be amazing. I am so, so excited.
While we were at it the Hubs decided to start removing another monstrosity currently residing in the Heap- the baseboard heaters. If anything can be more disgusting than the carpet, these are.
Turns out they are also propane burning so we had to halt work and let the propane get out of all the lines before we did anything else. We were all pretty happy to have a reason to call it a night. Turns out ripping out carpet is hard work!